Sunday, January 20, 2008

Batman and Gangster

1) Really, really looking forward to the Dark Knight movie. And especially since I heard this:

"Harvey Dent is a tragic figure, and his story is the backbone of this film," says [director] Christopher Nolan... "The Joker, he sort of cuts through the film -- he's got no story arc, he's just a force of nature tearing through."

The thing is, the Joker scares the crap out of me. It does somewhat remind me of the latest Spider-Man movie, where the Sandman and his dilemma was really the emotional arc of the movie and Venom was a nightmare-inducing guest. Venom gives me nightmares.

The difference though, of course, is that although Venom was around for a bit, he wasn't permanent. The Joker should last for a long time in the movies, unlike in the Jack Nicholson part. But his presence should always be felt, like a flippin' hurricane.

2) I don't care for American Gangster. I thought it was a pile of historical bullshit - as well as other bits of bullshit. And not in the not-as-right-as-it-could-have-been way that Denzel's character in the Hurricane was.

I was right. The caskets. The informing. All piles of heaping, flaming rubbish.

H/t for both to Peter Chattaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Rewind.