Wednesday, February 22, 2012

All of Me = None of Us

The Lenten Season in the Christian calendar is a time to reminisce and reflect on the sufferings of Jesus toward his crucifixion. Many connect this period - remembering the humble, suffering servant - with reflecting on the suffering of those whom he suffered with and amongst: the hungry, the outcasts, the strangers, the widows, the orphans, the prostitutes, the sick.


As Liz Lemon would say, "I want to go to there."

In my efforts of solidarity with Jesus and those he identifies with, for the next forty days (with breaks on Sundays) I'll be limiting my diet to non-processed foods with rare meats and at a budget of five dollars a day.

That may be a bit difficult, sure, for this spoiled American with food addictions. But that's not going to be the difficult part for me. In fact, suffering won't be hard for me right now.

Frequent bouts of depression. Near drastic and chronic under-employment. Marital woes.

I do know how to cry. Extensively.

But I need to get out of me. I'm full of me. I want to be full of something healthier. I want to be a part of something greater.
Woe Is I!

May I surrender as Jesus did, for the glory set before him (us): Not my will, but thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Rewind.