Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Creedo

Back from yet another sabbatical. I've actually got quite a few things coming out of the pike for the next few days, including a continuation of "The Best... of the Aughts (So Far)" series and a new series on my problems with Evangelicalism as it stands these days.

Which I'm both excited about and scared about, as I generally am with anything new (like the weather, every-flippin'-day-in-Chicago!)

I do feel that it's important for me to state my criticisms of the entire movement of Evangelicalism (particularly, I should note, of the American strain). If you love something, you're going to ask questions of it, but I understand that many in my EV family do not share my concerns and would thus question my belonging (some not just within the frame of the Evangelical movement, but as a legitimate Christian. Sigh...). So before I begin the semi-weekly series (come early next week), I want to be able to have a point of reference for those who will question my membership.

This, in short, are the points where I agree with Evangelicalism:

  • I agree with the ancient Creeds (such as the Nicene and Apostle's).
  • I agree that the Bible is the revealed word of God, is fully true, and is the final authority on the created order and reveals God to us (in other words, if I had a vision wherein "God" were to tell me to shoot an abortion doctor in the face because "God detests abortion", I would know that is a false spirit because it contradicts one of the prominent messages of the Bible, that we should Love our enemies and pray for those that persecute us.)
  • I agree that the Son of God (100% God and yet 100% man) came to earth in the person of a Galilean named Jesus barJoseph, loved and taught and healed (literally and figuratively), died at a fairly young age in an embarrassing manner on a heap of trash, took away the sins of the world, was buried and literally rose back from the dead (and not at all in a zombie way). I also concur that he is the firstborn from among the dead, meaning that those who follow him will also follow him through the chasm of death.
  • I agree that Jesus left his Spirit to comfort and lead us. And that the Spirit in us (the Third Person of the Trinity) testifies of the saving, healing work of Jesus (which is still continuing).
  • I believe in a literal heaven and even a literal hell.
  • I believe that there are spiritual forces (ie., angels and demons) above and beyond our grasp in the material world.
  • I agree that Jesus is the good shepherd and is the sole way to God the Father (there is a massive paradox in this exclusivity, I am aware and would like to expand on this in a future post as well).
  • I believe that Jesus' followers should distinguish themselves from those who follow the Way of the World (and more on that in another post also. But here's a four-letter tease: Love).
  • I agree that it is the responsibility/privilege of each individual follower of Jesus to testify of the Way of Jesus.
  • I agree that Christians need to be involved in the world around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Rewind.