Friday, July 15, 2005

Wim Wenders and projective space

Yes, that Wim Wenders!

OK, I won't pretend. I've yet to see Wings of Desire or any of his other films for that matter. But I loved the soundtrack for Until The End of the World, which inspired the Judas-kiss song of the same name by U2 and let us fans into their studio and minds months before they released Achtung Baby. It also gave us an acoustic peak at a song that T-Bone Burnett released on his brilliant and classic (but most likely out of stock) Criminal Under My Own Hat.

But he (Wimmy, that is) had some nice things to say in an interview recently about film and literature that I think are worth hearing (or reading). You can catch an abridged version here or you can go to the source (Again, my internet blocker's supersensitive spidey sense was tingling, so I didn't get a chance to read it yet). The gist of it, though, is that movies, like books and well yes, music, are best read between the spaces of the action and dialogue and happenings. The best stuff happens, he says, when you are allowed to "sneak in with your imagination, to dream on and to project your innermost hopes or fears or desires into what you see and thereby pushing it further." But of course, he says this in the negative, lamenting the passing of silent moments in the movie theaters.

Flame On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Rewind.