Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spielbergs for Darfur

This is good news. Well, maybe. But I wonder if he means what he says.

Steven Spielberg has decided not to participate in the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing as an artistic adviser, citing the lack of progress in ending the genocide in Darfur...

"I have made repeated efforts to encourage the Chinese government to use its unique influence to bring safety and stability to the Darfur region of Sudan," Spielberg wrote. "Although some progress has been made ...the situation continues to worsen and the violence continues to accelerate."

"With this in mind, I find that my conscience will not allow me to continue with business as usual," he added. "At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies, but on doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes against humanity that will continue to be committed in Darfur."

I know it's not humongous. It's not like Spielberg is hurting financially or anything. But what drew my interest is in him saying that he is going to focus his time and energy toward helping to stop the ongoing genocide in Darfur.

Sure, Darfur is not the only region that's hurting right now. But it is a place where people are suffering immeasurably. The violence is kicking up another notch again and neighbor Chad is now so overwhelmed that they are turning away potential refugees.

Way to stick it to the man, Stevie.

h/t to Jeffrey Overstreet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind. Rewind.