Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sunday Random Ten

I’ve had trouble uploading my precious CD collection to my iPod. I don’t know if anyone else is having this problem, but sometimes the computer will shut down shortly after I’ve started to upload a CD. Anybody know what to do with that?


Anyway, the latest - culled from a mix that we'll just call "The Party Mix". 'Cuz I'm lame.

Death Cab for Cutie – “Soul Meets Body” - I actually have the whole album. It’s full of poppy-jangly tunes, thought none quite as poppy-jangly as this. It’s one of those records I alluded to earlier.

Gorillaz – “Feel Good Inc.” What can I say? It’s catchy. I wish you were as catchy. Samuel L. Jackson said he believes it’s got the greatest laugh he ever heard in the beginning of a song. Better than Nichols’s in Prince’s Batman Soundtrack?

David Crowder – “B Part: I Saw the Light” – A hyper-kinetic bluegrass reading of the classic followed by a bit of death-spying melancholy. Crowder’s a stand-out in the over-crowded world of Christian Worship.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo – “Long Walk to Freedom (Halala South Africa)” – “Good boy, Good boy / Carry-on… Well-done, Well-done, you did a good job / Properly performed… Do you understand that?” What to do with this song? The title song of this fantastic “duets” album from this beloved South African gospel troupe says it all.

David Bowie – “Let’s Dance” - Not my favorite of the genius’s songbook. But cool for impromptu chants while waiting for the bus.

The Kinks – “All Day and All Night” – Rock & Roll will go on forever! One of the songs my wife and I dance to.

The Kinks – “You Really Got Me (Live)” – One of the other songs my wife and I dance to.

Sufjan Stevens - “Out of Egypt, Into the Great Laugh of Mankind, And I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run” – A bit pseudo-symphonic, breaking down into a near-cacophony.

Sufjan Stevens – “Decatur, Or, Round of Applause for Your Stepmother!” – Catchy song. Funny rhymes.

Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Under the Bridge” – Who hasn’t sung this with the guys and / or girls?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know several of those songs! I even like some of them (a few look suspiciously like 'classic rock'):

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do protest. the kinks are too good to be relegated to grandpa rock!

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. Rewind.