Sunday, January 29, 2006

I'm a Jerk! Proof 1

This is not so much a display of humility (when is humility ever really announced? It may be displayed, but woe to the man who calls attention to his humility.), as it is more of a public confession and hope for repentence. Maybe I should do this every Sunday morning, or sometime within my sabbath-day-of-the-week.

I was just thinking yesterday, while walking from a seminar to a basketball game, how it would be to train up a young man in dealing with beggars. How to say 'no' (outside of the ocassionally discerned 'yes,' often in the form of food) while treating the requester with dignity, as a human being in need of being treated with dignity, with emotions and intellect and a physical body. In general, I could use stand to be more polite and generous in that area, but my volunteer work has taught me alot about the plight of the homeless, the drug-addled, the constantly inebriated, etc.

So, why, later, walking in the cold rain at 11 o'clock at night, when I pass by a man with a gas canister and two young girls in tow, knowing that the closest gas station is half a mile in any direction, and he asks for some change to help him get gas, do I flat-out refuse him? If ever there was a 'yes' moment, this was it.

I'm a jerk. Jesus, save me.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . .

    that may cost you your nomination for Good Samaritan of the Year. You'd have to wait eleven months to get back in the running.

    Still, I don't see an isolated incident as sufficient evidence to condemn you to "jerk" status. You're so dramatic.

    Thanks for sharing, though. Next time I'm stuck in the rain, I'll be sure not to call you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was a chance for the GSY award?!?

    man, my promotional campaign must've been pretty good over all. shouldn't have fired my agent.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. Rewind.