Sunday, March 05, 2006

By the Rivers of Babylon

1 Beside the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept as we thought of Jerusalem.
We put away our lyres, hanging them on the branches of the willow trees.
For there our captors demanded a song of us.
Our torment
ors requested a joyful hymn:
"Sing us one of those songs of Jerusalem!"
But how can we sing the songs of the LORD while in a foreign land?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill upon the harp.
May my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth
if I fail to remember you,
if I don't make Jerusalem my highest joy.

Psalm 137


  1. I hear this old Jamaican group singing this song. It's on one of my parents records. 45s!...I think. It wasn't Marley, though..was it? I dunno.

    Dope song.

    But has anyone ever wondered...*what* a lyre is/looks like?

    I'd like to know. And do people still get down on the lyres? Like can lyres be in a rock band? I think that'd be the hypefreshness.

  2. it's a psalm. a very, very sad, lamentatious psalm. it ends with a promise of happiness to anyone who can bash brains out of their enemies' babies.

    yeah, sad.

    of course, the first time i ran across it was in a song, too. one by Adam Again, my favorite group.

    never heard the other version.

  3. So it's not just a reggae song!

    I have two versions:

    1) Sublime on 40 oz. to Freedom (this may have been pulled - like a couple of other tracks - off later pressings)

    2) The Melodians on Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come soundtrack (grab the Deluxe Edition - it has an excellent second disc of roots reggae)


Be kind. Rewind.