Sunday, March 05, 2006

By the Rivers of Babylon

1 Beside the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept as we thought of Jerusalem.
2
We put away our lyres, hanging them on the branches of the willow trees.
3
For there our captors demanded a song of us.
Our torment
ors requested a joyful hymn:
"Sing us one of those songs of Jerusalem!"
4
But how can we sing the songs of the LORD while in a foreign land?
5
If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill upon the harp.
6
May my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth
if I fail to remember you,
if I don't make Jerusalem my highest joy.

Psalm 137

3 comments:

  1. I hear this old Jamaican group singing this song. It's on one of my parents records. 45s!...I think. It wasn't Marley, though..was it? I dunno.

    Dope song.

    But has anyone ever wondered...*what* a lyre is/looks like?

    I'd like to know. And do people still get down on the lyres? Like can lyres be in a rock band? I think that'd be the hypefreshness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a psalm. a very, very sad, lamentatious psalm. it ends with a promise of happiness to anyone who can bash brains out of their enemies' babies.

    yeah, sad.

    of course, the first time i ran across it was in a song, too. one by Adam Again, my favorite group.

    never heard the other version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's not just a reggae song!

    I have two versions:

    1) Sublime on 40 oz. to Freedom (this may have been pulled - like a couple of other tracks - off later pressings)

    2) The Melodians on Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come soundtrack (grab the Deluxe Edition - it has an excellent second disc of roots reggae)

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. Rewind.