Tuesday, February 05, 2013

If They Get Rights, Then Nobody Gets Rights

Senators Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Lee (R-UT), Tim Scott (R-SC), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Rand Paul (R-KY), Pat Roberts (R-KS), and James Risch (R-ID), I don't think, are blocking the Violence Against Woman Act on the grounds that they hate women. I'm sure they'll all tell you that they love women. And that they treat their wives well and want their daughters to grow up to be strong and capable and even independent.

Their objections arise because they refuse to allow undocumented immigrants, internationally trafficked sex slaves, transgendered*, and indigenous women who live on tribal lands the same protections that other American women receive from domestic abuse - which, sadly, is very limited as it stands.

So, Cruz, Lee, Scott, Rubio, Johanns, Paul, Roberts and Risch hate immigrant and First Nation women. And they hate them so much that they're willing to dismiss the needs of all other women in the United States.

No, wait.

I guess they DO hate all women.

Courtesy of FB's One Million Vaginas
Feel free to print this poster out and defecate on it.

--------------------------------------
*When I first wrote this post, I had forgotten about the language that would also protect international sex slaves and the transgendered people as well (additionally, men who are also victims of domestic and sexual violence). I apologize for those glaring omissions.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:31 PM

    It is hard sometimes because I agree with some, not most, of the things you type. What is hard? It is hard to express myself because I do that best by talking, doesn't have to be face to face, but I do need to verbally respond and have a verbal conversation with someone to truly communicate with them. I type all this to say that I would like to talk to you and understand where you are coming from and you can also listen and understand where I'm coming from.

    ReplyDelete

Be kind. Rewind.